Sunday, November 30, 2008

Close of Thanksgiving Week..NO NET WEIGHTGAIN!!.....


This and Halloween have to be known as the beginning of weight gain. Every year for many years now, I've gained at least 10-15lbs during the holiday season, and a bunch of it has gone on during the Thanksgiving and Halloween weeks.

This year however has been a bit different. I managed to keep my weight even from start to finish. I started the season at 210 and have finished at 210. May not sound like a bunch, but to me this is a big thing.

This whole deal started a little over 2 years ago. I had some health problems and my doctor told me I needed to lose a serious amount of weight. I was just a hair under 240lbs at the time. When that happened, I got out my roadbike and built myself a new one from its parts. I decided on Jan 1 that I wanted to start the MS150 in September at a weight of under 200lbs. I made myself a little wager as well - If I lost that weight, I'd buy myself a set of really nice road wheels for my roadbike.

Well, I met the goal and bought the wheels. : ) I also finished the ride in full and in a better time than I ever had by over 2 hours!!!!

Unfortunately, I stopped riding as soon as the ride was over and ended up gaining 15lbs over the winter..... NOT COOL!!!!.

This year, I only managed to lose 5lbs heading into the MS150, but my time was significantly improved over previous years just by the fact I'd been training.

After the ride, I wanted to not gain any, so I finished out the road season on my roadbike and moved forward to the MTB winter season and began riding mountain. I also built my first real cyclocross bike and raced two races this year.

Flashforward to today- I did 63 offroad miles on my mountain bike in the past 7 days. I think if I can keep this up for the rest of the winter, I might actually come out of winter close to 200 again. Doing that will help me get even closer to my goal of hitting 180 for the MS ride this coming year.

I really think I can do it, and with a little luck, I will.

No comments: